Happy New Year Winnipeg educators!
At this time of year, I am reminded not only of setting goals – personal, professional and as an organization – but also of what we do throughout the year to achieve those goals. The steps RCGW takes to achieve its goals in service of the Winnipeg literacy community are many. There are numerous people who support the work of RCGW, and I would like to take the time here to review the work of our board in order to support our members by providing an array of programming, sharing of important findings and techniques through social media and through our blog. Overall, we want to support member’s educational choices in the classroom because the rich literacy learning they bring to our youth will change the world, one mind at a time.
- February 2018 – I Love to Read Month: A calendar of activities has been distributed via Reading Manitoba and shared on our social media. We will use this platform to provide ideas and encourage to local teachers to engage with their students surround a love of literacy. I Love to Read committee chair Brittany Bell will be visiting the Children’s Hospital in February to bring greetings and a donation from the RCGW to support literacy programs within the pediatric CancerCare ward. Plan how you will participate in I Love to Read Month.
- May 2018 – Annual Awards evening: On May 31st, our awards committee will present several awards to leaders in our community for their continued work within the schools or other learning environments to promote and provide opportunities for children’s literacy. Nominate a deserving colleague today.
- May 2018 – Award Scholarships: We will award two scholarships ($500.00 each) which have been established to commemorate the charter of the Reading Council of Greater Winnipeg (RCGW) in 1956, and as well to recognize the visionary teachers from Winnipeg who formed the first council in Canada. The award is created to support tuition and material costs. All applications will be given a fair and careful review by a standing committee. Apply for a scholarship today.
- October 2018 – Manitoba Teachers’ Society Professional Development Day: All Manitoba teachers will embark on self-selected professional development on October 19th, 2018. This year, RCGW will present a full-day session with John Schumacher, (AKA Mr. Schu), the Scholastic Ambassador for School Libraries. Check out his Twitter feed for a glimpse of his passion for connecting readers with books. We hope to use this event to place books in the hands of students, to ignite passion in the hearts of teachers, and to increase the membership of the RCGW. Visit @MrSchuReads on Twitter now.
- Throughout the year, we provide professional development opportunities for and by local-area literacy leaders. Please stay connected via our Facebook, Twitter and Reading Manitoba Blog for details as they develop.
About the Author - Shannon Morin serves as the President of the Reading Council of Greater Winnipeg. She is currently a Grade 4 and 5 teacher at Wayoata School in the River East Transcona School Division. Her passion is connecting children with good books and fostering a love of reading in her students that extends well beyond their year in her classroom.